Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cybersafety

Do you know what may turn the internet to be a predator space?

Take this cartoon as a hint on the answer of the previous question. You may know a tiny subset of who you talk and interact with, but can't make certain who are the others for real.

The age may make the victim to be easily hunted and it's more dangerous with the younger kids. So, as a teacher I think I hold the responsibility to make sure the students are safe from the nasty aspects of the internet.

NETOP School can be used
to monitor multiple PCs
at the same time
In my previous years in the school, I was using a software called NetOp School which enabled me to monitor all PCs in the computer lab with one click.

This is one of the ways I used to protect the students, while there are more like advising every now and then; but the most important monitoring tool is internal in the students themselves.

On other side of Cybersafety, I used Avira AntiVir Personal which is a good antivirus that I use it on laptop and it wasn't infected since then.

While talking about Cybersafety, we couldn't skip talking about the communication and compulsion problems that the students may suffer. I noticed that many students either consider the internet as Google -which means the search is the gate for the internet to them, and that's fine-, or they open the browser mainly to open their page on Facebook. The problem with Facebook is that it easily unleashes the 3 Cs of Cybersafety:


  • Content related safety issues
  • Communication related safety issues
  • Compulsion related safety issues


I can direct the student to not open a site containing unwanted content, but I can't do the same when he opens a site that looks normal which is his Facebook page although he may be addicted to this site or living in unbalanced life between the virtual and real world. Here comes the internal supervisor which I mentioned before.

Nowadays, It's simpler; but not unnecessary, to monitor the students since the internet in the schools is connected through a proxy, but what left to the teacher is a big burden to keep the school as a safe environment to the students.



Ref:
  1. http://www.safekids.com
  2. http://www.ikeepsafe.org

No comments:

Post a Comment