Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Student-Centered Learning

This our third week lesson, it's about the Student-Centered Learning (SCL) and I can emphasize that SCL is more effective in many areas compared with the other paradigm, Teacher-Centered Learning (TCL).




Personally, I applied it partially in my lessons before and realized how it's effective and motivating to the students.
a gradient
rectangle
in
MS Words

As an example, I showed the students a gradient rectangle in word and asked them to try to discover the way of how I did it in MS Word. The students take not-a-short time to find how to do this exercise, but they learn more than one thing on their way which are:

  • How to draw a rectangle in MS Word.
  • How to remove the border of the shape.
  • How to fill the shape with a color.
  • How to set gradient colors.
I could show how to achieve those points to the students then ask them to do the exercise which may needs an equal or shorter time.

But what about the level of understanding of all students in this case? I think the SCL is better for the students and for the teachers. It's clear to be better for the student as I stated before, and the teacher will get no hassle of explaining and will concentrate on how to make sure every student gets what he needs to be able to understand the lesson and do the task correctly.

I know SCL faces some critiques, and I think, as a part to resolve them, we need to apply a mixture between SCL and TCL and the ratio of them depends on the age of the students. So the instructor may use TCL as the first part of the lecture and SCL in the other part.

No comments:

Post a Comment